Friday, June 13, 2014

Kojak's: Who Loves You Dogging 6/9/14


Growing up in Cary, Kojak's was THE place to go for a hot dog or really, any of the traditional Chicago fare. Whatever the neighboring towns offered, just wasn't worth it. I spent countless high school lunches piling into friends cars and flooding the small eating area with hungry teenagers. Even more afternoons after class. Recently new owners took over and instantly I felt a sense of worry. A fear of losing something that I love so much.

A local staple for nearly 25 years, Kojak's is the youngest of all the places Chris and I have visited so far. Although no one seems to know for sure, the restaurant is said to be named after a popular TV show from the 70s of the same name. The character's catch phrase of "Who Loves You Baby" used to adorn the old sign and is now painted inside. Another issue that lead to my worrying. However, the new management decided that $1.25 hot dog Mondays would be a good idea. I fully support this decision. Especially when is for the complete Chicago-style dog.

However, ordering the dogs proved rather difficult. Maybe it was from being groggy from the prior night of drinking or the fact that the cashier was on the phone, but an unnecessary amount of words were used to order. Although once it was figured out, it was game on.

For some reason I always start with my fries. I guess I like to get a good look at my hot dog before it becomes demolished. These fries were by far the closest to a McDonalds type of fry we have yet been served. Super crispy, not very starchy, and thankfully not a whole lot of salt. These are the type that are super addicting.



Another typical pattern that Chris pointed out, is that the Chicago-style dog is always eaten before the chili dog. I guess we are both too excited for them. Today though, I started with a little bit of fear. Would it be as good as I remember? It was still a Red Hot Chicago Dog so that is a good start. I took the first bite and was reminded why I love hot dogs so much. That is a good dog. The standard Chicago-style except for, gasp, sport peppers. They are always generally an option. Usually when one orders a dog with everything, they will ask you if you want peppers. Today there was no question. In all reality, the only thing that could make this dog better would be some sport peppers. Fortunately, they were nice enough to give us some. They were the perfect addition. The peppers were not too mild nor too hot. It was just the right amount of heat. All this deliciousness was nestled in the perfect bun. It was not soggy, it was not dry, and most importantly it did not fall apart. I can't even fault it for not being a poppyseed bun. One would have a hard time finding a better overall hot dog anywhere near Kojak's.

Finally, as per apparent tradition, the chili dog closes out the meal. Kojak's was the first place not to ask us if we wanted anything else on it. Which is fine. I would not know what else to add other than onions. It is a relief seeing that the cheese is a cheese sauce. Unless there is going to be an overflow, shredded cheese just does not cut it on a chili dog. Now this chili was very much a bean chili and it came off as a touch dry. It had good flavor though. Even separate from the dog, the chili stood on its own. However, and it's something he never thought he would say, Chris thought there was too much cheese. Personally, I am not sure if it was the amount, or the placement of the cheese on top of the chili. It was a mess to eat. Although, it could be said that a chili dog is supposed to be a bit of a mess.

Thankfully, my research finds that Kojak's is as good as it ever was. In fact, it may be even more of the same than I realize. As we were finishing up our meal, Kojak's began to be flooded by middle school aged kids possibly out celebrating the end of the school year. As Neil Peart once wrote, "The more that things change, the more that they stay the same."

130 Crystal Street (RT 14)
Cary, IL


No comments:

Post a Comment