Saturday, June 7, 2014

Fradillio's Hot Dogs: Substitute Dogging 6/2/14


For the first time on our hot dog adventure, Chris and I decided to stay local. Also, for the first time we had to call an audible. Our original plan was to head over to Downtown Dogs in wonderful downtown Algonquin. One problem stood in our way. They were closed. So I guess that is a place for another day. Fortunately, we live in an area full of hot dog joints to fill the void. Fradillio's was just that place.



Walking into Fradillio's the nostalgia hits immediately. The first thing that stands out are the red and yellow Vienna Beef hot dog cart umbrellas that are located about the interior. It's a rather large restaurant in comparison to other hot dog vendors. Behind the counter a sign displays 'Since 1979.' The menu boasts all the Chicago favorites ranging from Italian Beefs, to Gyros, to classic Chicago-style hot dogs. Sitting down, I notice old bumper cars hanging over the inside main entrance. Later I noticed a sign saying they were from the old Riverview Amusement park. This was when I also noticed the classic old school bubble hockey arcade game complete with Chicago Blackhawks figurines. There was also a wall decorated to mimic an old Maxwell Street storefront.

I had worked very near Fradillio's for years and yet never found my way there for lunch. I was very excited for this first visit and hot dog. Sticking to our original plan we each order a hot dog meal complete with fries and then a chili dog.

A Fradillio's hot dog is your traditional Chicago-style hot dog. Nestled inside a Styrofoam container, the Vienna beef dog is topped with yellow mustard, relish, wedged tomatoes, chopped onions, a pickle spear, and sport peppers. We didn't pick up on this until later, but there was no celery salt. Although it is always considered optional, I do miss when it is not present. The bun was not a poppy seed bun which for me is not quite as important as the celery salt but sill a missing element. I don't know if it was the bun or the Styrofoam adding moisture, but both of our buns were a touch soggy. No hot dog deserves a soggy bun. This puts the hot dog consumer in tough starting position. Despite being a Vienna Beef dog, there was no real snap or crunch to the dog. Other than that, the toppings were all spot on. Thankfully, the sport peppers were not the same variety I wrote about in my last article.

So after the hot dog was devoured, it was on to the chili dog. As soon as I opened mine, Chris noticed that I did not get cheese on mine and as I tried to defend myself I realized that I was just a fool. It turned out to be not much of an issue as the cheese was just a small amount of shredded cheese unlike the cheese sauce used at Mr. Pup. Just like the first dog, the bun was a touch soggy. Could it really be the Styrofoam? This is something that we will have to keep an eye on. The chili was just as good on the dog as was off the dog. Nice and flavorful but nothing over the top.

The French fries were nothing more than very standard. I have admit, I had forgotten that they were crinkle cut fries until just now when I posted the picture. I suppose that may be all I have say about them. Although, they were served in the classic wrapper. Fradillio's is the third place out of 5 to use it.

Overall, Fradillio's Hot Dogs serves an okay Chicago-style hot dog. It does not seem like I was missing much by never eating here. Although, they do claim to serve a rather large and delicious Gyros. One day I may come back and try one. Maybe even a Gyro adventure down the road. First though, I must go to Downtown Dogs.

 
2321 W Algonquin Rd
Algonquin, Il
 


No comments:

Post a Comment