Sometimes life gets in the way of things you want to do. Sometimes you find two closed down Hot Dog locations in one day. Unfortunately, both of these managed to happen to Chris and me. After not being able to get together for hot dogs in a few weeks, we tried to squeeze a trip in before work one day. There was one fairly new place near where Chris works that we decided to try. We walked up to the door and it was closed. So Plan B it was. Amazingly enough, this place was also shut down. There were only two other Hot Dog joints left in the general area. Fradillio's which, for better or worse, was already covered and Tommy's Red Hots. So, without much hesitation, we were of to Tommy's.
As mentioned in my review of Fradillio's, I had never been there despite working so close. Tommy's Red Hots were the reason why. For one, it is located directly across the street from my former place of employment. Second, it is good. I wouldn't always get a hot dog because everything they do is fantastic. In fact, I had a long stretch where every Saturday on my lunch I would head over to Tommy's. Many times
I would be accompanied by Chris. A small chain of five locations, Tommy's has been serving the area since 1980. The one we were fortunate enough to dine at was the Lake In The Hills location.
Walking in, one is greeted by a wall of a menu. There are different meal specials every day. However, there is always a two dog special. Although, that special has slowly been rising over the last 10 years. More out of habit than avoidance, we both went with the special and no chili dog. A brief review: it is not good. So all set with two Chicago-style hot dogs, we were ready to chow down.
Served sitting on a bed of fries, these are your standard Chicago-style dogs. Although not on a poppy seed bun, they are complete with yellow mustard, onions, sweet relish, tomato wedges, a dill pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. However, I should mention that you have to explicitly ask for sport peppers and celery salt. Years ago the celery salt was automatic and the peppers were always a question. It changed maybe 6 years ago. No big deal though. The hot dog it self is perfectly crisp and juicy. There are no signs advertising the maker although I highly suspect that they are Vienna Beef franks. The toppings are nice and flavorful and the bun holds up the entire meal. There was a reason I came here so many times.
It was a few years ago while at Tommy's on one of my many lunch trips that I began to view fries as nothing more than filler. With the fries here, it is for good reason. Not that the flavor is bad but they give you plenty and they are very hearty. If you like your fries to retain some of there potato origins, than these fries will right up your ally. I eat as many as I need to and am always leaving way too full.
All together, Tommy's Red Hots is perfectly fine place to grab a traditional hot dog. Nothing is exceptional but nothing is bad. In the end, I believe that is what we are all looking for.
191 Randall Road
Lake In The Hills, IL
(847) 658-4088
No comments:
Post a Comment